University Sustainability Committee Charge - UTDPP1078
University Sustainability Committee
The University Sustainability Committee is a University-wide, Standing Committee appointed by the President not reporting to the Academic Senate of The University of Texas at Dallas.
The mission of the Sustainability Committee is to cultivate a culture of environmental responsibility in which the entire UT Dallas community is aware of, engaged in and committed to advancing environmental awareness and sustainable practices through education, research, operations, and community service activities.
The committee is specifically charged to:
- Develop and prioritize an annual set of committee goals and planned actions to further promote and advance an institutional culture of sustainability
- Evaluate sustainability initiatives and projects based on a benefit versus life-cycle cost analysis
- Publicize and communicate current university sustainability initiatives to the university community
- Conduct and promote campus events, workshops, showcases, exhibits focused on enhancing sustainability efforts and practices so as to more fully engage students, faculty and staff
- Promote and encourage sustainability where appropriate as a key element of the curriculum
- Overall reduce UT Dallas' impact on the environment in the areas of energy, water, waste, buildings, transportation, purchasing, grounds, food and dining, social equity, academics and research and education and outreach.
The Committee shall have seven voting members appointed by the President as follows:
One Chair, who shall be a member of the tenured faculty, preferably someone actively concerned with sustainability as a research topic or with developing teaching methods or materials concerned with it.
Two additional faculty members, one from Natural Sciences and Mathematics or Engineering and Computer Science (alternating), and one from Economic, Political and Policy Sciences or Management or Arts & Humanities (alternating). The Chair and the faculty members shall be nominated by the Academic Senate and serve one-year alternating appointments.
Two Staff, one of which shall be the Assistant Director of Procurement and the other a representative of Staff. The latter shall be nominated by the Staff Council.
Two Student Members, both nominated by Student Government. One shall be at large, the other from a student group/club specifically devoted to sustainability initiatives on campus.
In addition, the following members shall be Ex Officio and without vote: The Vice President for Administraion or his/her representative, the Associate Vice President of Facilities Management, the Energy Conservation and Sustainability Manager, and the Associate Vice President of Communications.
The Committee will produce an annual report of accomplishments to the President with copies to the Academic Senate, the Vice President for Administration, Facilities Management, Staff Council and Student Government for publication on their websites.
- Issued: October 21, 2010
- Editorial Amendments: March 7, 2012