Library Committee - UTDPP1076
The Library Committee is a standing, concurrent committee of the Academic Senate of The University of Texas at Dallas.
The Committee is charged to:
- review all policies and procedures of the Library and recommend those policies and procedures that will yield the greatest overall benefit to the educational programs of the University,
- assist and promote faculty and student participation in the selection of library resources,
- periodically evaluate the library holdings and services and make recommendations for their improvement, and
- act as an intermediary where needed between library users, library staff, and the administration.
The Committee will receive regular reports on all matters of major library policy, including proposed budgetary allocations, from the Dean of Libraries, and will return its advice on routine matters to the Dean. Recommendations for general university policies arising from its considerations will be forwarded to the Academic Council or to the Academic Senate through the Academic Council.
By November 1, the Chair of the Committee will provide the Speaker of the Faculty with a copy of the agenda established by the Committee for its work during the academic year.
Annually, but no later than August 31, the Chair of the Committee provides the Speaker of the Faculty with a written report for the Academic Senate of the Committee's activities for the prior academic year.
The Committee is composed of eighteen voting members including one undergraduate and one graduate student. Eight members, one representing each School, shall be appointed from the membership of the General Faculty (as defined in UTDPP1088). Eight members, one representing each School's library acquisition committee, will be nominated by the respective School Dean. The Dean of Libraries and one member of the general administration shall serve as non-voting, ex officio members. The committee may add such additional non-voting members as will assist it in assuring that the library has adequate and continuous communication with all components of the University that depend on it. The Dean of Libraries serves as the Responsible University Official.
Unless specified otherwise in this charge, Committee members are appointed to two-year terms, and the Chair and Vice Chair are appointed annually. The terms for appointed members shall be staggered so that no more than one-half of the terms expire in any one year. Members may be reappointed by the President for additional terms upon nomination of the Academic Council. If for any reason a Committee member resigns, the President, upon nomination of the Academic Council, shall appoint another individual to serve the remainder of the unexpired term.
- Issued: September 4, 1978
- Revised: November 12, 1979
- Revised: January 8, 1981
- Revised: June 30, 1983
- Revised: November 1, 1990
- Revised: October 15, 1993
- Revised: September 1, 1998
- Editorial Amendments: September 1, 2000
- Revised: October 25, 2001
- Revised: October 29, 2003
- Editorial Amendments: April 6, 2006
- Editorial Amendments: May 28, 2015