UT Dallas Policy Navigator :: Management of University Facilities :: UTDBP3073 (v3)

Management of University Facilities - UTDBP3073

Policy Statement

Facilities Management's mission is to provide an environment conducive to the academic processes of teaching and research for the day-to-day activities of faculty, staff and students. We do this in an efficient manner to protect the assets of the citizens of Texas.

Facilities Management is responsible for maintaining all University facilities in good repair and operating condition and providing minor modification support capabilities, including:

  • maintenance and operation of University-owned buildings;
  • maintenance and care of University grounds and roads;
  • delivery, service, and management of utilities;
  • design and construction for all renovation, repair, and remodeling of existing and new University-owned structures for projects less than $10 million;
  • custodial services;
  • general services (move support, signs, trash disposal and recycling, pest control);
  • key control; and
  • vehicle maintenance.
  • Services Provided

    Institutional Services

    Services provided by Facilities Management which are for the general benefit and welfare of UTD are considered institutional services. Examples include, but are not limited to:

    • replacing lights;
    • heating and air conditioning adjustments;
    • water fountain and restroom repairs;
    • elevator repair and maintenance;
    • cleaning of buildings;
    • collecting trash and recycling; and
    • all other building repair and maintenance.

    Funds required to make these services possible come from the approved budget of Facilities Management and, as such, are provided without charge to individual departments in E&G and non-auxiliary buildings, as funding permits.

    Facilities Management personnel maintain a survey of the University physical facilities and services to ensure their proper functioning, to rectify maintenance problems or to institute measures, such as preventive maintenance, to eliminate or reduce recurring problems. However, the number of facilities and services to be inspected and maintained is increasing. Therefore, all other UTD personnel are asked to report any maintenance or service problems to

    • Main Campus: FM Work Order Center at ext. 2177 or ppworkrequest@utdallas.edu
    • South Campus: South Campus Maintenance Supervisor at ext. 3075
    • Science & Engineering Research Laboratory (NSERL) and Bioengineering Science Building (BSB): Research Facility Operations at researchfacilities@utdallas.edu or to the Research Facilities Operation Foreman at ext. 7207

    Departmental Services

    Departmental services are provided by Facilities Management at the request of individual departments and are paid for by the requesting department. Such services are defined as those performed on furniture, furnishings and equipment assigned to a department or those which will directly benefit the requesting department. Examples include, but are not limited to:

    • additional custodial services and event support;
    • maintenance and repairs of non-E&G (auxiliary) buildings and facilities;
    • moving support and furniture set-ups for events;
    • remodeling and painting requested by a department;
    • repair of equipment which is on a departmental inventory;
    • washing of building windows; and
    • renovation (updating) of office spaces before the cyclical life cycle interval (10 years).

    When materials and labor are provided for a departmental request, charges are made to appropriate departmental cost centers. Prior to requesting departmental services, a department may request a cost estimate of the labor and material costs for the specific project to ensure that the department has adequate funds to cover the cost of a project.

    Requests for departmental services are submitted through a Work Request completed by the department.

    Professional Services

    Facilities Management has a professional staff of project managers, that include engineers, architects, and interior designers, who are available upon request to assist in the planning, designing, and estimating of facility modifications or expansions.

    Precedence of Services

    Normally, institutional services will be given priority over departmental services since the former provides for the general benefit and welfare of the entire University. Departmental services are considered as important as institutional services; however, they affect only a small segment of UTD's population.

    Departmental work requests are scheduled in the order they are received unless an urgent or emergency requirement for the work exists, in which case, efforts will be made to expedite the request.

    Professional services will normally receive a lower work priority than either institutional or departmental services because of the less urgent nature of work involved.

    Work involving capital improvements and remodeling is accomplished according to priorities established by the University and approved by the applicable authority.

    Building Configuration Control

    Facilities Management has been given responsibility by the President to monitor and control internal and external configurations of all University buildings, facilities, utilities, and attached furnishings (i.e., whiteboards, signs, etc.).

    Therefore, approval through Facilities Management must be obtained prior to altering any buildings, facilities, utilities, or installing or removing attached furnishings. Such repairs and modifications must comply with state and federal building codes, including the requirements of the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, and consider the safety of the occupants, security of University property, economy of operation, and conservation of energy. For these reasons, it may not be feasible to repair or modify buildings (or their associated systems and components) exactly the way an individual has requested.

    Repair of Furniture and Furnishings

    Institutional furniture and furnishings will be repaired, refinished, and otherwise maintained by Facilities Management as funding permits. This includes any furniture and furnishings not assigned to individual departments which are intended for the common use by all personnel, such as classroom desks and chairs, and hallway lounges.

    Departmental furniture and furnishings include any such items assigned to space within an allotted departmental area which are used exclusively by a department. This includes, but is not limited to, desks, chairs, bookcases and file cabinets. Repair, refinishing and other maintenance of such furniture and furnishings will be at the department's expense.


    Issuance of Keys

    All keys to buildings, rooms and other institutional facilities are and must remain the permanent property of UTD and may be obtained only through Facilities Management. Keys to laboratory and departmental equipment/furnishings are maintained and issued by individual departments.

    The Key Request through eCAT is used to obtain authorization for the issuance of institutional keys to personnel and is initiated by the requesting department. Guidelines for issuance of keys are as follows:

    1. Only University employees may be issued University keys.
    2. Lecturers and contractors will not be issued keys without approval from the appropriate Dean or Program Head, if applicable.
    3. Key Requests will not be honored unless approved by a cost center owner, manager, or alternate approver.
    4. All keys must be picked up at the Facilities Management Key Shop by the key holder. Proper identification must be provided, and the key holder must sign for the key. Special arrangements may be made for persons who are unable to travel to Facilities Management to pick up keys.
    5. Keys may not be shared by anyone. Each key issued is intended for use only by the individual to whom it was issued. Those needing to borrow keys may check them out at the Key Shop.
    6. Under no circumstances may a key be duplicated.
    7. Keys may be returned at any time, but all keys must be returned upon an employee's separation. The University Check-out Procedure shall be considered as the method of returning keys at separation. Keys returned will be matched with the key database. Unauthorized keys will not be honored and will be confiscated.
    8. The designated holder of key(s) is responsible for their security and care. All lost or found keys should be reported immediately to Facilities Management and the Police Department.
    9. A fee will be charged to the responsible department budget for each key issued or reissued and shall include the replacement of broken keys.
    10. There is a fee charged for each lost key and the Vice President/Dean must approve if this charge is to be paid with University Funds. If it is necessary to re-key based on the lost key, the department will be charged for the additional cost.
    11. Grand Master Keys are not normally issued to faculty or staff personnel since campus buildings are accessible at all times. However, if a need exists to have such keys, a Key Request form should be properly completed by the requesting department and forwarded to Facilities Management. (NOTE: Approval by the Vice President/Dean and the Vice President for Facilities & Economic Development is required for issuance of Grand Master Keys. This authority cannot be delegated. Justification must be attached to the Key Request.)


    Personnel requesting locks to be changed must submit a Work Request form in conjunction with a Key Request, and the expenses for each lock and key changed will be charged to the department. Electronic access locks must be approved by the Chief of Police and installed, moved, and repaired at the department's expense.

    Facilities Management will not charge for any lock repairs installed in normal construction.


    There are many types of signs, each designed to provide a specific departmental or institutional service, and their use must be controlled for the purposes of economy, appearance and safety. Responsibility for the maintenance, updating and other care of signs lies with Facilities Management if the sign serves the University as a whole; responsibility lies with the department if the sign serves a departmental function.

    Speech Expression and Assembly - UTD Policy UTDSP5001 provides comprehensive instructions with regard to who may display signs and where they may be posted.

    Custodial Services

    Custodial services are usually provided as an institutional service and as such are charged to Facilities Management for E&G and non-auxiliary buildings.

    The housekeeping standards established for the University can be maintained only by following effective frequency of cleaning and methods using trained personnel. However, since budgeting limitations restrict the availability of Facilities Management personnel and supplies, good housekeeping practices by all persons at UTD are encouraged.

    Events with a large head-count (50 or more), providing food/drink, and/or taking place outside Facilities business hours are required to submit a work request for custodial services, including, but not limited to, providing additional trash cans, cleaning space after events, cleaning and restocking restroom facilities during an event.

    If a department requires additional custodial services, they may be requested and provided at the department's expense.

    Motor Vehicles and Vehicle Maintenance

    For policy regarding motor vehicles and vehicle maintenance, see UTDBP3062 - Motor Vehicles.

Policy History

  • Issued: 1997-09-29
  • Revised 2022-09-09