Tobacco Free Policy - UTDBP3089
The University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas) is committed to promoting a healthier work, research, education and living environment. In order to better accomplish this goal and align UT Dallas with the best practices of leading employers and research universities, UT Dallas prohibits the use of all forms of tobacco products on University property. Any advertising, sale, or free sampling of tobacco products on University property is prohibited. Improper disposal of and/or littering the campus with the remains of tobacco products or any other related waste product also is prohibited.
The University does not require faculty, staff and students to stop using tobacco products; however, it is expected that individuals follow the policy while on University property. UT Dallas is committed to linking individuals with resources to help break nicotine and tobacco addiction as detailed in Section G of this policy.
This policy applies to all faculty, staff, students and visitors of UT Dallas, including contractors, subcontractors and their respective employees. It also applies to individuals, including contractors and employees of any entity leasing UT Dallas property while on said property.
This policy is applicable twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
- Tobacco refers to all forms of tobacco products, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, water pipes (hookah), bidis, kreteks, smokeless tobacco, snuff and chewing tobacco. It also prohibits innovations in smoke or tobacco products, such as electronic nicotine delivery systems, e-cigarettes or vape pens.
- Property means all property that is owned, operated, leased, occupied or controlled by the University or the UT System on behalf of UT Dallas. For purposes of the Tobacco-Free Campus policy, this includes, but is not limited to, all buildings and structures, sidewalks, parking lots, walkways and parking structures owned or controlled by the University and all University-owned vehicles.
This policy’s effectiveness relies on the courtesy, respect and cooperation of all members of the University community. Students, staff and faculty are empowered to respectfully and politely inform individuals in violation of this policy about the policy requirements and encourage compliance.
If direct appeal fails, policy violations may be referred to the Office of Facilities and Economic Development, which will then refer the offending individual to the relevant office for counsel:
- The Office of Human Resources and the appropriate supervisor, when the concern is related to a staff member.
- The Office of the Dean of Students, when the concern is related to a student.
- The appropriate chair or dean, when the concern is related to a faculty member.
- The Office of Facilities and Economic Development, when the concern is related to visitors.
Repeated violations of this policy may result in discipline as established by the disciplinary policy applicable to the individual violator.
Tobacco use may be permitted under the following circumstances:
- Sponsored research involving tobacco or tobacco products, provided the University employee obtains the prior approval of the Vice President for Research and a waiver is requested and granted in accordance with sponsored research requirements, if any. Smoke, like any other laboratory air contaminant, shall be controlled.
- By artists or actors who participate in University authorized performances that require smoking or vapor as part of the artistic production. Notice will be given to the audiences before any performance that includes smoking so that individuals can choose not to participate in the audience.
The implementation of this policy is augmented by an awareness and education effort that includes:
- Notification to current and prospective students and employees of our Tobacco Free policy through University websites;
- Notification during the admission and enrollment process and/or during new hire orientation for faculty and staff, as applicable;
- Informational meetings, postings and electronic notifications;
- Notices bearing the message "Tobacco-Free Campus," the international "No Tobacco" symbol or similar signage will be posted throughout campus at major points of vehicular or pedestrian traffic. However, the Tobacco-Free Campus policy applies to all University property regardless of posted notices, unless specified as an approved exception in Section E.
The University is committed to supporting all students and employees who wish to stop using tobacco and nicotine products. For a full listing of available tobacco cessation resources, please visit: www.utdallas.edu/tobaccofree.
H. Related Information
Tobacco-Free Campus website: www.utdallas.edu/tobaccofree
Frequently Asked Questions
Board of Regents' Rule 80111 – Smoke Free Facilities
Texas Administrative Code, Title 25. Health Services, Part 11, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT), Chapter 703, Grants for Cancer Prevention and Research, Section 703.20
- Issued: 2007-07-20
- Revised: 2010-05-26
- Revised: 2013-11-18
- Revised: 2017-06-01
- Editorial Amendments: 2019-02-19
- Permalink for this policy: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdbp3089
- Link to PDF version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdbp3089/makepdf
- Link to printable version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdbp3089/makeprint