Campus Accessibility Committee - UTDBP3109
Campus Accessibility Committee
The Campus Accessibility Committee is a University-wide Standing Committee appointed by the President not reporting to the Academic Senate of The University of Texas at Dallas.
The Committee has three interrelated concerns: accessibility of campus facilities, accessibility of university programs and services, and long-range planning to incorporate universal design principles into university programs and operations.
- Accessibility of university facilities. The Committee is charged to maintain a system for receiving suggestions and concerns from faculty, students, staff, and visitors regarding the accessibility of university facilities and to make recommendations to the administration regarding enhancing the participation of individuals with disabilities. For this purpose, the term 'facilities' does not mean only buildings but refers to all university infrastructure, fittings, and equipment intended to support instruction and research, activities, and the services associated therewith.
- Accessibility of university programs, services, and instruction. The Committee is charged to maintain a system for receiving suggestions and concerns from faculty, students, staff, and visitors regarding the accessibility of all university programs and services (including information technology), and to make recommendations to the administration regarding improving the participation of individuals with disabilities.
- Long-range campus planning. On the basis of its knowledge of utilization of current facilities and involvement in program planning, the Committee is charged to suggest and review long-range plans to promote universal design and the full participation of individuals with disabilities.
All members of the Committee are voting members. Themembers shall be appointed by the President; and shall include:eight members of the faculty representing each of its schools that will be nominated by the Academic Senate;
- one representative from Staff Council;
- one undergraduate representative from Student Government;
- one graduate representative from the Graduate Student Assembly;
- at least one student, one faculty member, and one staff member who are users of disability accommodations or have specific relevant expertise recommended by Office of Student AccessAbility and Human Resources respectively;
- one representative of the general community who is a user of disability accommodations or has specific relevant expertise;
- and representatives from the following university offices, ex officio:
- ADA coordinator
- Dean of Students
- Office of Student AccessAbility
- McDermott Library
- Research, Campus and Environmental Safety
- Information Technology
- Facilities Management
- Risk Management
- Human Resources
- Institutional Equity and Title IX Initiatives
- Budget and Finance
- University Police
- Parking & Transportation
- Educational Technology Services
- Diversity and Community Engagement
- Officeof Graduate Education
- Office of Undergraduate Education
- Student Counseling Center
- Electronic Information Resources (EIR) Accessibility Coordinator
- The Committee on Effective Teaching
The term of office for Committee members shall be for two years (except for the Student Government and Graduate Student Assembly representatives whose term will be one year. Service will be effective from September 1 to August 31, and members may be reappointed by the President for additional terms. If for any reason a Committee member resigns, the President shall appoint another individual to serve the remainder of the unexpired term. The Chief Compliance Officer shall serve as the Responsible University Official for this committee.
To ensure continuity, appointments of Committee members will be for staggered terms so that one-third of the appointments expire August 31 of each academic year. The Chair and Staff Co-Chair of the Committee shall be appointed by the President annually.
- Issued: 2018-05-04
- Revised: 2020-07-15
- Revised: 2022-05-31
- Permalink for this policy: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdbp3109
- Link to PDF version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdbp3109/makepdf
- Link to printable version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdbp3109/makeprint