University Policies for Reservation and Use of Facilities - UTDPP1048
Reservation and use of University facilities shall be subject to the provisions of Rule 80101 of the Regents' Rules and Regulations, and to University rules and administrative regulations established to govern the approved use of facilities. Policies regarding use of Athletics/Recreational Sports facilities are contained in Title V Rules on Student Services and Activities of the University's Handbook of Operating Procedures. When the Office of Food Services serves as co-sponsor for events held in Food Service facilities, that Office is responsible for all arrangements and compliance with University regulations.
Reservation and use of facilities other than the Student Union Building shall be subject to the following University policies:
- Academic functions of the University have first priority in the use of facilities and are scheduled through the Office of Records and Registration. Approvals of and scheduling of facilities for all other activities are based on the following administrative priorities and regulatory guidelines:
- University business related activities and sponsored programs not involving non-University groups have second priority and require approval of the President, Chief Academic Officer, a Vice President, Assistant Vice President, Dean, or a Director of the University.
- Student activities have third priority and require the approval of the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. Student activities are those functions designed for the specific benefit, involvement, and participation of UTD students and have first priority for use of the Student Union Building.
- Facilities in the Student Union Building are scheduled through the Student Union, Room SU2.604 or by calling extension 2945.
Activities of non-University groups have fourth priority and require approval of the President or the President's designee. Use of facilities of The University of Texas at Dallas by non-University groups is governed by the following provisions:
- The facilities of the University are available to non-University groups on a restricted use basis.
- The non-University group must have a campus cosponsor in order to be approved for use of University facilities. University schools, academic programs, or offices may serve as cosponsors.
- The University may not enter into cosponsorship of any program or activity in which the educational implications are not self-evident and which does not directly supplement the educational purposes of the University.
- The University will not enter into cosponsorship of any project or program that is to result in private gain for the non-university group.
- The University, established as a public institution without regard to political affiliation or religious faith, cannot co-sponsor with any non-University group political or sectarian gatherings.
- The University co-sponsor is responsible for coordination and approval of all details of arrangements for the program or activity, for approval of all publicity including copy for advertising and news releases, for initiating written agreements with non-University groups regarding details of events, and for collecting fees for space and services.
- Scheduling of facilities for use by cosponsored non-University groups is strictly subject to the needs and the convenience of the University. Activities of non-University groups may not be scheduled for time periods when the University is officially closed. Use of facilities after hours of normal University operation or during the weekends is subject to the availability of staff and services.
- Charges may be assessed for the use of the facilities and/or for the provision of services such as food service, audiovisual services, security, etc. Fees will be assessed based on the size of the space utilized and the cost of services required. Rate schedules for the use of facilities are approved by the President, Provost, and the Vice Presidents.
- Food service needs for all functions occurring on campus are provided by or through the University's Food Services Office.
- Audio-visual and other media services are provided by or through the University's Media Service Office.
- The University Police Office meets special security needs, provides parking assistance, and controls access to reserved space.
- Facilities Management meets specific housekeeping or cleaning needs and provides temperature control of reserved space.
Any exception to these policies must be approved in writing by the President or the President's designee.
- Issued: 1979-05-29
- Revised: 1986-07-14
- Revised: 1988-09-01
- Revised: 1992-03-01
- Editorial Amendments: 1998-02-02
- Editorial Amendments: 2000-09-01
- Editorial Amendments: 2006-05-02
- Permalink for this policy: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1048
- Link to PDF version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1048/makepdf
- Link to printable version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1048/makeprint