Administrative Leave for Outstanding Job Performance - UTDPP1093
The purpose of this policy is to establish a procedure for awarding service leave to recognize staff members of The University of Texas at Dallas for outstanding performance.
This policy applies to staff members. A staff employee will be eligible to be considered for administrative leave for outstanding performance if all the following criteria are met: Employee has worked at least 12 continuous months in a benefits-eligible staff position (student positions are not eligible); Employee has an overall rating equivalent to Meets Expectations or higher on their most recent annual performance appraisal; and the employee has had no disciplinary actions in the past 12 months.
- Employees may be granted up to 16 hours of time off for exemplary service within a fiscal year. The maximum hours granted is prorated based upon the employee's percentage of employment or FTE. For example, a benefits-eligible employee who works 20 hours per week would be awarded a maximum of 8 hours within a fiscal year.
- A manager/supervisor may nominate any eligible employee for outstanding performance leave via their department head, dean or vice president. The award must be approved by all higher-level supervisors, including the appropriate vice president, the CHRO and the President, or his or her designee. The nomination must include justification for the basis of the nomination and the number of hours requested to be awarded. The awarded leave time is granted in full day increments only (i.e. 8 hours for full-time or 4 hours for part-time). The outstanding performance or activity cited may be subsequent to the employee's most recent performance evaluation.
- The hours granted for outstanding job performance must be used within the same fiscal year awarded and within the department in which it was earned or the hours will be forfeited. An employee does not receive payment for outstanding job performance leave not taken upon departmental transfer or separation of employment.
- Administrative leave for outstanding performance is to be awarded only as a matter of distinction and recognition of an employee's distinguished and exceptional job performance. Outstanding performance leave is an award, not an entitlement. There is no monetary award associated with outstanding job performance leave.
For Assistance: Questions regarding the use and approval of this award should be directed to the Office of Human Resources - Employee Relations.
Relevant State Statutes and Board of Regents' Rule(s):
Texas Government Code 661.911
Texas Human Resources Management Statutes Inventory 2014-2015 Biennium
Regents' Rules and Regulations, Rule 30201, section 5
- The manager/supervisor must submit a completed request form, along with a copy of the most recent performance evaluation, and submit the documents to the appropriate department head, dean or vice president for review and approval. The approval shall proceed up through the supervisory chain (for example, department head to dean) and include the appropriate vice president.
- If approved at the school or division level, the nomination form will be forwarded to the President’s designee, the CHRO, in Office of Human Resources for final review and approval.
- The Office of Human Resources will forward the approval or denial of the nomination request to the department head, dean, or vice president, who will communicate the final decision to the manager/supervisor who initiated the nomination. If award hours are approved, the manager/supervisor shall notify the employee of the award.
- The employee shall provide reasonable notice to the manager/supervisor of a request to use the administrative leave. The manager/supervisor may decline use of the awarded leave for specific dates if the absence from work will interfere with meeting business needs or providing service. Usage of the leave shall be recorded and submitted on the employee's timesheet. The Office of Human Resources will track the hours awarded each fiscal year to monitor usage and application.
- The above process is not applicable to cases in which the President awards leave to entire units or the entire university.
- Issued: 2015-01-22
- Revised: 2020-09-30
- Permalink for this policy: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1093
- Link to PDF version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1093/makepdf
- Link to printable version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1093/makeprint