Syllabus Policy - UTDPP1111
UT Dallas requires faculty to post syllabi online for all organized courses. For the purposes of compliance with this policy and with state law, posting online is defined as posting in CourseBook. Faculty may also post their syllabi within e-Learning, but a publicly accessible version must be available in CourseBook. Students review syllabi posted in CourseBook to help them determine their semester course load and anticipate course costs as well as the schedule of assignments, exams, and presentation dates.
In addition, state law requires syllabi for organized undergraduate courses to meet certain criteria. Pursuant to the Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Part 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter N, §4.227, item 9, syllabi for all undergraduate courses must include the following information:
- Brief description of each major course requirement, including each major assignment and examination;
- the measurable learning outcomes for the course;
- a general description of the subject matter of each lecture or discussion; and
- lists of any required or recommended readings.
Additionally, syllabi for undergraduate courses must be posted within CourseBook within seven (7) days of the first day of classes per Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Part 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter N, §4.228.
UT Dallas requires these same criteria and the same posting deadline for syllabi for organized graduate courses.
In order to assist faculty with compliance with this policy and corresponding state law, the Committee on Educational Policy maintains templates for syllabi. Downloadable UT Dallas Syllabus Templates, Core Curriculum Templates, and Help with Syllabus Templates details can be found at the UT Dallas Syllabus Templates site: https://provost.utdallas.edu/syllabus-templates
- Issued: 2019-07-23
- Permalink for this policy: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1111
- Link to PDF version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1111/makepdf
- Link to printable version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1111/makeprint