UT Dallas Policy Navigator :: Additional Pay for Employees of UT Dallas :: UTDPP1097 (v2)

Additional Pay for Employees of UT Dallas - UTDPP1097

Policy Statement

This policy provides University departments guidelines to provide an employee with additional compensation beyond their normal regular pay as defined below. This policy does not apply to overtime pay for non-exempt employees (please refer to UTDBP3051-Pay Administration for guidance on overtime pay). Management is responsible for reasonable and appropriate justification for all types of additional pay. The University of Texas at Dallas's Human Resources Compensation Standards and Practices should be consulted anytime additional pay is requested or submitted to ensure the payment is appropriate and the review and approval process has been followed.

Definitions of Additional Pay

One-time Payments:
Payment for substantial additional work performed beyond a person's regular job duties that has been earned or completed in one month or less. These payments are not included in the annual salary budget.

Supplemental Payments:
Payments for work that is substantial, continuous and anticipated. Supplemental payments to staff employees should be for work performed over two to six months in duration. A review by the Department Head and the Office of Human Resources (HR) is required for continuation of payment past 6 months. Faculty supplements will be reviewed on an annual basis by the Provost office. These payments are planned and included in the annual salary budget.

Authorization of a one-time payment or supplemental pay is not guaranteed or required to be paid to an employee who fills in on special projects or is assigned additional task due to a departmental vacancy, shift in workload, or other staffing related changes. Such payments are initiated at the discretion of the manager or supervisor and are pending until the approval process is complete. Managers are expected to consider the circumstances of each situation when determining if a one-time payment or supplemental pay is warranted and ensure that employees are treated fairly.

Overload Payments:
Payment to a faculty member for courses taught in excess of their respective course load requirement. These payments are not included in the annual salary budget.

One-time Merit Payments:
One time merit payments should be addressed through the annual budget process for recognition of performance or significant accomplishments. Administrative leave for outstanding job performance for staff should be considered first in lieu of merit payments and may be used outside the annual budget process. Please see the Administrative Leave for Outstanding Job Performance Policy for further details of the program.


One-time Payments:
All employees are eligible for one-time payments.

Supplemental Payments:
Exempt staff, Nonexempt staff, Faculty, Research Associates, Research Assistants and Teaching Assistants are eligible to receive supplemental payments.

Overload Payments:
Only faculty are eligible for overload payments.


One Time Payments

School, Department and Division Approval: Schools, departments or divisions should follow their own internal review and approval processes. Approval by the dean of a school or administrative vice-president may be required for one time payment requests. Deans and administrative vice presidents may delegate approval authority. Approvals will be recorded on either the paper PAF form or electronic personnel action request (ePAR). The business purpose/reason and the description of work performed in excess of normal duties for the One Time payment must be documented on the PAF/ePAR with adequate justification. In accordance with the UTD Human Resources Compensation Standards and Practices, HR will review the request to confirm reasonable and appropriate justification supports the payment.

Supplemental Payments


Exempt Staff and Research and Teaching Assistants: HR – Employment Services must be consulted prior to submitting a supplemental payment for a temporary assignment performed by exempt staff before the services commence. The supervisor, authorizing department and/or school makes the request on the PAF/EPAR form providing justification and information necessary to make an appropriate compensation decision. A discussion with HR – Employment Services will help to determine the information required and facilitate the determination of an appropriate compensation amount.

HR's approval is required on the PAF/ePAR form before the payment will be processed. If the PAF/ePAR form is submitted without appropriate approvals, the form will be returned to the requesting department to go through the appropriate approval process. The business purpose/reason and the description of work performed in excess of normal duties for the Supplemental payment must be documented on the PAF/ePAR with adequate justification.

Nonexempt Staff: Nonexempt staff must be compensated for each hour worked in accordance with University pay policies. Compensation at a rate other than the nonexempt employee's normal hourly rate must be requested and approved by HR – Employment Services prior to performing the work. Work performed at the normal hourly rate does not require HR approval and should be submitted though the Time and Labor process. Managers must be aware that overtime pay or comp time may be required if the non-exempt employee works more than 40 hours a week, even if receiving additional pay or supplemental pay.

For faculty or staff, late submissions for payment or request returned to the department due to lack of proper approvals will not be made retroactive if final approval is granted.

Faculty and Administrative Stipends

Additional pay for Temporary Assignments made with faculty must be approved by the dean's office or school designee before the services commence. When a faculty member works for a department in a school other than their assigned school, the deans of both schools must review and approve the supplemental pay payments. Compensation increases involving tenured faculty of $10,000 or more, including one-time and additional/stipend payments, require the approval of U. T. System Administration.

Administrative stipends must be approved by U. T. System Administration for all University employees who report directly to the President or who report directly to a Vice President, in accordance with The University of Texas System Budget Rules and Regulations prior to approval by the Board of Regents in the annual operating budget. Administrative stipends not included in the annual operating budget of the University are to be submitted by the President to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs in the form of a Budget Journal and for inclusion in the U. T. Dallas institutional docket for presentation to The University of Texas System Board of Regents in accordance with established docketing procedures.

Sponsored project exclusion

In all cases, the Principal Investigator and all Co-principal Investigators are ineligible to receive additional compensation on their own sponsored project. Faculty and A&P personnel who otherwise meet the criteria of this policy may be eligible for supplemental pay but are not eligible for dual compensation.

Faculty members making long-term commitments to sponsored projects should seek release time from their Dean and be directly appointed to the contract or grant.

Sponsored projects — Special rules

Special notes regarding payments from sponsored projects:

  • Supplements: Pay supplements are subject to the terms of the sponsored project agreement
  • Overtime: Overtime on a sponsored project must be approved in advance by the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) and by the sponsor. If OSP determines that overtime is not allowed on the sponsored account, a non- sponsored account must be used for the payment of overtime.
  • Temporary employee vs. overtime: If the assignment is being paid from a sponsored project, it may be more cost effective to engage a temporary employee rather than a current employee who is paid at that individual's overtime rate. Some agreements restrict the number of work hours for which an employee may be compensated.
  • Consulting, if performed by an employee of another state agency or institution: Exceptions under OMB Uniform Guidance are restricted to unusual cases which may dictate and/or justify a different treatment; however, to be considered as an unusual case the work performed must clearly be across departmental lines or must involve grant or contract activities or operations at separate or remote operations and the nature of the work to be performed by the employee must be as a research consultant.
  • Purchased services: A grant may allow a service to be purchased, such as diagnostic testing or evaluation. Such services may be purchased from and provided by a faculty member, who is paid for those services using the one-time pay procedure. These are generally incidental services for the project and are not part of the faculty member's regular appointment.
  • Sponsored project as a department: An individual may be engaged for work on a sponsored project whose work is entirely outside the individual's regular assignment, even in the same university department. For temporary work on a sponsored project, the sponsored project may be considered a different department for purposes of one-time pay in this policy. This may be the case, even if the individual is employed by the same department in which work on the sponsored project is conducted, for example, a department employee participating as a research subject.


Please see UTDPP1060 - Minimum Faculty Academic Workload Requirement for further guidance on overloads.

Accounting and Payroll

Paid on the regular payroll schedule:
One-time Payments, Supplemental Payments and Teaching Overloads are paid on the employees' regular monthly or semi-monthly pay check. Requests received after the payroll closing date are paid on the next payroll for that individual.

Funding sources for One-time Payments, Supplemental Payments and Teaching Overloads:
Before any allowable payment can be made, the source cost center must have available budget. If the cost center does not have the required budget available, the PAF/ePAR form will be returned to the requesting department.

Related policies — Independent contractors and consultants:
Independent contractors and consultants are not University employees. A University employee or a previous employee who has terminated his/her relationship with the University within twelve months and is engaged as a consultant must be paid through a PAF/ePAR form as provided in this policy.

Guidelines for Additional Pay

Please refer to the PAF/ePAR form for processing procedures.

Additional Links

HR Compensation Standards and Practices
UTDBP3051-Pay Administration
UTDPP1093-Administrative Leave for Outstanding Job Performance
UTDPP1060-Minimum Faculty Academic Workload Requirement
OMB Uniform Guidance

Policy History

  • Issued: 2016-02-15
  • Editorial Amendments: 2020-05-13