International Travel Policy - UTDPP1108
It is the policy of The University of Texas at Dallas to promote safe travel by students, faculty, staff, and official guests/volunteers participating in University International Travel covered by this policy.
This policy provides a framework of institutional oversight consistent with UT System Policy UTS190: International Travel Policy in order to promote the health, safety, and security of The University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas) travelers and initiatives abroad.
This policy applies to UT Dallas students, faculty, staff, and official guests/volunteers participating in university international travel. This policy complements the policy UTDBP3023 Travel and Risk Related Activities.
- University International Travel - any educational or business travel that is UT Dallas-sponsored, UT Dallas-administered, UT Dallas-organized, or conducted within one's capacity as a UT Representative, regardless of credit or funding. Examples of University International Travel can be found in the UT System Policy UTS190 and on the UT Dallas International Travel webpage. This includes:
- Travel that the University supports financially, or by sending faculty, staff or students to participate in an activity or event as official representatives of the University, or
- Travel that is initiated, actively planned, arranged, or advised by a UT Dallas faculty, staff, or registered student organization, and is approved by an appropriate administrator.
- Official Guest/Volunteer: Any individual invited and authorized by UT Dallas to participate in university international travel.
- High Risk areas include locations where the U.S. Department of State has issued a Travel Advisory Level 3 or 4; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Warning Level 3: Avoid Nonessential Travel Health Notice; or the UT Dallas International Oversight Committee (IOC) has deemed significant health, safety, or security risks are present; . this could include any region with a US State Department Travel Advisory recommendation of "do not travel" or "reconsider travel" within a country rated as Travel Advisory Level 2 or Level 1.
- Travelers and sponsoring units must obtain advance approval for international travel. Forms and guidelines for authorization of international travel are available on the International Risk and Safety webpages.
- It is the responsibility of UT Dallas travelers to assess and mitigate health, safety, and security risks when engaging in university international travel. Travelers must abide by all UT System and institutional rules governing international travel, as well as any relevant U.S. and international laws governing international travel.
- It is the responsibility of UT Dallas to assess the health, safety, and security risks of university international travel, with special consideration for High Risk travel; and to provide clear information to UT Dallas travelers about international travel policies, procedures, or requirements for travel.
- Responsibilities of the International Oversight Committee (IOC):
- The IOC must provide advance written authorization for travel to High Risk areas through the appropriate international travel authorization process.
- Planned travel that is not yet in progress when a destination becomes High Risk is automatically suspended pending review by the IOC.
- Travel that is in-progress when a location becomes High Risk must be reviewed by the IOC within a reasonable timeframe to determine if the threat is imminent and if travelers should be recalled or relocated.
- Travel that has been approved by the IOC may be subject to additional review if there is a change in circumstances and/or additional review is deemed necessary by the IOC.
- The IOC may withdraw travel approval at any time.
- Travel Registration: All university international travel, regardless of risk level, must be registered with UT System's emergency assistance provider prior to departure. Instructions for registration are available on the UT Dallas International Trip Registration webpage.
Related Statutes, Policies, Requirements or Standards
UT System Regents Rule 20801: Travel https://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/rules/20801-travel
UTS190: International Travel Policy https://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/policy-library/policies/uts-190-international-travel-policy
UTDPP1092: International Oversight Committee https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1092
UTDBP3023 Travel and Risk Related Activities https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdbp3023
UT Dallas International Travel https://www.utdallas.edu/rs/international-travel/
International Risk and Safety https://www.utdallas.edu/rs/
International Trip Registration https://ie.utdallas.edu/rs/register-your-trip/
- Issued: 2018-06-01
- Permalink for this policy: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1108
- Link to PDF version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1108/makepdf
- Link to printable version: https://policy.utdallas.edu/utdpp1108/makeprint